22.3.12

My epiphany (always wanted to use this word, not sure how it fits here but who cares, just read)

it's been 2 weeks since I ate lunch at work (making it 2 weeks since I last saw my girlfriend), it's not that I'm not hungry (sometimes I am), I am just not at all excited over eating the food the Canteen proudly offers. One of the things (the only thing except for the 10% off discount we get on purchasing a vehicle) the company subsidises is our meals (Bravo), we get 5 coupons for R36 making each meal R7.20 per day. I was excited when I saw this on my contract that I would buy these coupons for the whole month, 144p/m was indeed a bargain, until a vision came to me at night (dramatic I know), the close to nothing we pay for these meals amounts to the bad service, terribly cooked meals we are offered, me and my friends call it Fear Factor meals. Have you ever tasted rotten rice or seen a chicken soaking in its own blood after cooking? I have and to be part of this extravaganza, gladly come to my office and I will give you one of my coupons and your life will never be the same, you will learn to appreciate quality over quantity. Enough about you, so looking at the peanuts I earn plus the work I do plus the passion behind the work I do plus the 30 minute lunch break (yep just 30), plus the fuckery I with a smile put up with, a good meal is the least they could offer me, I’m not asking for too much, am I?

Let me afford you with a little background (again making this about you but not for long). KKS used to be in charge of the canteen and they were terrible, a petition was signed (I also signed) to kick them out. Good news came and management found a new supplier, we were going to have an all-new Canteen, I was a happy chap, raced down to the Canteen to see this and something was just funny not as in HAHA funny, it was a strange kinda funny, they had the same staff (My friend explained that there can’t really be new staff because they needed the job, so I understood, reluctantly though), Okay stop right there!!!, think bad thoughts of me no more, can I just explain why I was reluctant without you concluding that I am a bad person? Do you know the late Whitney Houston’s (May her soul rest in peace) duo with Deborah Cox, same script different cast? I know you think there is no relation between these two matters because the song is about the love or lack thereof or whatever and food but there is a connection, just make time to listen to the song, it’s a nice jam and if life be fair enough it will show you this revelation I was blessed with. I’m obviously failing to make you see my point and I will stop trying so continue thinking I am a bad person, I permit you. But, I have to make you get my point without tryna play watch tower on you and win you over, in summary, the fact that the new Canteen had the same stuff meant the food and the way it was cooked, uncooked, boiled whatever you wanna call it would remain unchanged. The decorations had changed; more cakes were sold (at the same price so that part was worth celebrating) but the food was as gruesome as before and the staff’s unfriendliness I now chose to ignore, there is this girl though (arg this isn’t about her). Whitney and Cox’s song is about them dating the same guy, at different intervals though, and Cox going your ex is my treasure on Whitney while Whitney was on some ‘a  tiger doesn’t change its spots’ tip, the moral of the story (finally) is that something’s never change, no matter how much you decorate them.

Going back to why I don’t eat lunch at the Canteen (if you are still here), I don’t eat there because they cook terribly PERIOD...