10.4.12

The Battle



Fought like cats fighting over milk
We were angry with what had become of us that fighting served as the only testimony to what we once were to each other, we were once souls entwined
Never could I breathe the same air as you and survive
You revealed the devil in me I left when you entered my space
You uttered words that confirmed that the feeling was mutual
I was a misery to you as you were to me
We had to hate each other just so we could still feel for one another
Silently we hoped for things to have been different
So diligent we were to win our friends over to our side of the battle, we had to stick to our story, “we wanted nothing to do with each other” became the theme for the battle
Saw you standing there meticulously flaunting what I no longer had, you played with your body so well I almost touched
I stood there, as farther away from you, you stole a million stares on me
Caught you more than once and secretly I smiled
The mutual friends we shared made the battle somewhat impossible, breathing the same air became obligatory, the involuntarily touching of skin became inevitable,
You were there, I was there, we were there together, indulging in the same air, secretly gazing at each other but we stuck to our own ends of the battle, we wanted nothing to do with each other
Steered clear of any situation that could allow of us to converse, we weren't about to be taken over by words and realize what we still meant to each other
You were there, I was there, you felt the breeze piercing your skin, you ran to me, seeking refuge
I held you, your blood flowing fearlessly, one hand on my thigh, the other exploring my skin,
You stared, I  stared, we stared, we lost the battle,  we wanted something to do with each other,
You danced for me, danced on me and I followed, leaned so close to me I felt my heart singing yesterday, had my thoughts sprinting back to the sexual celebrations we once hosted and it felt like home
You leaning so close to my lips, making suggestive  moves I was suppose to make the most of, you, I, we almost became what we swore we wouldn't become
We lost the battle, we want everything to do with each other

© S Phohleli 2012-04-10