10.5.12

The Gay Kinda PDAs

Was telling Nomonde about my next note project, Public Displays of Affection of gays in the world where Heterosexuals seem to have dominance. I wanted to hear how she views this issue which I believe has mothered most of the hate crimes all around the world. She then turned around and asked what I thought of this if it be a situation and I found myself stuttering and almost unsure of my answer which then led me to giving her a vague answer. I said, "Maybe", I'm both in and out... Luke warm basically. Luke warm people are cowards and I take that title without fear of judgment because the minute I say "Maybe" I automatically am judged therefore fearing the inevitable is a waste of emotions. I wasn't about to commit myself to an answer that I wouldn't live by if I one day was obligated to BUT silently my answer was "No I do not condone The Gay Kinda PDAs, even though I sometimes practice them", It is okay to call myself a hypocrite than to hear it from anyone else especially her, even though I could tell she already concluded I was a hypocrite but I wasn't ready for confirmations.

I without a doubt enjoy having my hands all over my girl's body, maybe spanking her ass once in a while when walking into a restaurant just to show them that "She's with me", maybe I do spank her ass but I do it with caution just to slightly get my point across. I am very mindful of what I do in public, sometimes almost impossible, but I never want to be a victim of hate if I can avoid it. Not at all saying that those who were found behaving as such earned their beatings but I will not behave in any way that would expose me to such hatred if I can help it. Truth is I am scared, scared of what might happen to me if I was publicly pushing the "I am Lesbian" swag and until I am ready to face the consequences of this misunderstood lifestyle, I will remain as I am, Luke warm (short for "No I don't condone them") for anyone who asks and "anti Gay Kinda PDAs" to myself.

I don't at all believe there are manners that only lesbian's need to abide by, frankly I don't believe in a whole lot of things, one thing I am sure of is that a lot of people don't sleep at night thinking about my sexuality, how it keeps them from slumber still remains mystery to me. We are now fighting to have the Gay rights not removed in the constitution with only 6187 out of 1000 000 signatures at the moment, so we have a long way to go but I believe we will get there. The House of Traditional Leaders want to scrap "sexual orientation" section from the bill of rights contained in Chapter 2 of the Constitution of South Africa and The South African Constitutional Review Committee is currently entertaining this absurd proposal hence the petition. I have signed the petition, not because I am just lesbian but because I am human, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a colleague, a neighbour, and then lesbian. It amazes me how people in power forget all the other traits and concentrate on just sexuality as if that is the only thing that defines me which is ludicrous especially for people who also bear the same traits and to top it all are also educated.

It is only when I signed the petition that I realised what I was fighting for, I am not fighting to be accepted as a lesbian but I want to be able to love and appreciate women without fear, and if that categorises me as lesbian so be it. This proposal will birth deadly ramifications on the LGBTI world should the signatures not reach 1 000 000, God forbid and it is quite saddening that the state has overlooked this, as learned as they behave they are. It’s not as if we are asking to have a holiday dedicated just to our existence, we just want to be free. Of course we will still get eyes of disapprovals from the world when we walk past them, and we aren't expecting to be anyone's favourite overnight but we would like to be considered human when we speak, and it's not like we are asking for donations or whatever they might consider is a stretch to their patience nor are we asking to move in with their sons and daughters or even their wives.

If LGBTI be a country I know for sure Nomonde wouldn't consider me 100% patriotic but I am getting there, threading on careful grounds and for now I am okay on the slow lane, and the labels that come with being slow. I am learning and as blah blah blah as it will sound but learning is a process. Should time call for me to be abrupt, I will be ready. I am not saying going to prides, lesbian’s picnics and going to gay clubs is my way of getting there, but if signing the petition be any measure of patriotism I would like a crown for it. She called me a victim of patriarchy and that I am one of the people who enjoy reaping fruits from the seeds they have never planted but like I said I am getting there. I don't think kissing in public makes me a heroine, that for me is a call for death or whatever that would eventually lead me to this lifeless state, I can't get myself in harm’s way just to get my point across, I don't have the power of Rambo or Chuck Norris yet so I can't fight anyone who opposes.

I will educate people willing to learn about this thing as they call it however I will not impose the knowledge on them, in due time, they will learn or rather accommodate us. I will play my part when and where necessary, I will be the voice where and when someone is willing to listen, unlike corporal punishment, I will not force people to listen as it will bring about frustration and then in turn bring about anger which leads to hatred as they do not understand. The lessons we teach today may not at all affect this generation but it can sure better the next generation. Like our forefathers, they fought to do away with apartheid and as warriors as they were but they never dined in this table they have successfully set for us, we are reaping the fruits of their sweat just as the next generation will reap the fruits of our battle.